Random Switch Help

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Strategy Discussion' started by Carnuss, Dec 7, 2010.

Random Switch Help

Discussion in 'StarCraft 2 Strategy Discussion' started by Carnuss, Dec 7, 2010.

1. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

I'm thinking of going Random, need some simple Strategies for playing Zerg (ZvZ, ZvT, ZvP) and Protoss (PvP PvT PvZ). :cool:

2. Draco Spirit

Draco Spirit New Member

Some simple tips for Z v Z

1) Expect roaches

2) Be more wary about expanding than normal

3) Get a pool up sooner rather than latter

4) One spine crawler in the middle of your mineral field helps ALOT against zergling attacks in the early game.

Z v T

1) Expand quickly

2) Roach / hydra with infestor surport seems a solid basic set up

3) Rushing rarely works

Z v P

1) Rushing with zergling cans work sometimes, use your speed to avoid his zelots and aim for power structures.

2) Mutas and zerglings seems a sold basic set up.

3) Be very aware that probes like to drop power pylons in sneaky places, first overlord over front door is NOT optional

4) Some toss players don't scout well, sneaky bases are your friend

5) Spore towers in mineral fields to stop phonix harasment, queens and hydras can be lifted, spore towers can not.

3. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

Cheers, just what I was looking for. Looks like I have my Zerg Strategy foundations set. Just need Protoss tips now =)

4. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    PvP: 4 warp gate, you could expand too in case your attack doesn't work
    PvZ: 4 warp gate, you could expand too in case your attack doesn't work
    PvT: 3 warp gate + expo, use zealot + sentry to beat and contain early MM pressure. After expo is running, you can throw down robotics or templar tech or whatever you want.

5. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

Thank you mate.

6. Stirlitz

Stirlitz Member

Greece
    I'm actually trying to switch to random too, lol! Next time we meet online, be prepared for an exhausting series of RvR! :D

I'll post some tips on P play a little later, when I've woken up properly...

7. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

:D:yes:

8. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

Ok I think I'm going to give up on that idea, Zerg is soo sh*t.

9. Draco Spirit

Draco Spirit New Member

Where and how are things going wrong for you?

10. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

Their Unit Selection is just soo Limited. I'm used to Terran, Pumping out SCVs and Units, but with Zerg you have to Choose to go for Drones or Units. They also get their @ss handed to them in most Confrontations (and if you come out better in a battle the units you have left isn't going to let you Finish them off) and essential Expansions are taken down with Ease. I Probably will Practice with them more, was just a bit Frustrated getting Owned by Hard AI Terran. I'm thinking of maybe Mass Roaches (I seem to be having some success with Roaches. From my Experience of TvZ, I've Lost quite a few Matches to Roach Builds) into Mass Mutas, can't Micro Banelings to save my life. Also Spreading Creep is a pain in the @ss. Don't even know how to Research Burrow and their Tech Tree's a bit Confusing. :arghh:

Last edited: Dec 8, 2010
  11. RushSecond

RushSecond New Member

San Diego
    Well I can imagine the hardest part about playing zerg is:

1) Knowing when to make drones. This also includes the mindset of having to play really defensively while you power drone.
    2) Spawn larva. One trick that is really helpful for me is put all your queens on a control group, and anytime you notice your last spawn larva finished (you have more than 3x as much larva as hatches) then select your queens, and use spawn larva on the exact minimap locations of your hatcheries.
    3) Spreading creep. Not really a trick you can do with this, just try to do it when you aren't doing anything else (no battle occuring, just finished macroing)

12. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

Just Practiced a bit with Protoss, and zomg, I love'm, I <3 Warpgates. Fast Expansion with Zealot Heavy Army, then spiced it up a bit with immortals, threw down a Pylon in the Mddle of the Map and place 3 Photon Cannons on either side of it's Energy Field, placed Gateway Units at the front of the Pylon and Colossi w/ Thermo Lance behind it, Controlled the Middle of the Map, Expanded again, got more Upgrades and Production Buildings, Defended, hit Max Food, Finished them off. Haven't even used Void Rays or Templars yet :D

13. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

I never use Hot Keys (I know it really helps but I couldn't be arsed getting used to them atm tbh). However I was Constantly Spawning more Larva with the Queens. I also had a Queen or two Dedicated to Spreading Creep at the perimeter and used the other ones to Spawn more Larva and used excess Energy to Spread Creep in my Base(s).

Can someone tell me this... How the hell do you Research Burrow?

14. Draco Spirit

Draco Spirit New Member

Its a second tier base research option. However any HQ structure can research it once you have one second tier base. You'll also find the overlord upgrades there.

15. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

Last edited: Dec 9, 2010
  16. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

Basically when playing Zerg there's a heavy emphasis on producing Drones (especially early game - obviously spawning more Larva constantly with the Queens) and Scouting with Speedlings (especially at their Front because you Focus on producing Units with Spine Crawlers when they're Attacking). Zerg also needs to have at least one more Expansion than the opponent and spread Creep (Queens and Overlords). Once the Minerals start racking up, get more Units, Upgrades, Hives. At the start it's a struggle but once you Swarm you have the advantage. For the Hive! :wubclub:
    (They also have excellent Air Control Capabilities)

[ Note to Self ]
    Having trouble as Zerg vs Terran with MMM. Advice would be much appreciated. (Say for example on Blistering Sands, Expansions get taken down and Banelings just about keep them at bay)
    http://starcraft2forum.org/forums/showthread.php?t=26693

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  17. Yonkid

Yonkid New Member

1. When against Hard AI, remember he attacks at around 7:30- 7:50, get a stable amount of units till then.

2. About limited unit selection - that's why you expand and get queens. At some point you stop pumping out drones, and instead you can just spam the unit you want - that's how zerg plays.

3. Roaches are very strong ground units - but don't just spam them alone. Bring along some Hydras, maybe Infestors aswell. Marauders are a pain against Roaches, and any air that attacks your Roaches and you're f***ed. A fair amount of zerglings can always help aswell. Don't forget you get 2 zerglings for 1 larvae.

4. Expand often - Zerg can't play on 1 base- you'll lose eventually. 15 Hatch to 14 Pool (You lose 1 drone from making hatchery) is a standard opening - getting a 2nd base really helps your macro.

5. ZvT - You do NOT mass Hydras - they only have 80 hp, and siege tanks just blow them up. The other units r*pe them aswell. Unless he masses banshees - you might want some Hydras or Corruptors, along with an overseer. And rushing hardly works - they usually wall off, and if they don't, the marines take care of the zerglings.

6. ZvP - Rushing works alot. Zealots are slower than Zerglings, and sometimes he won't scout you which will give you the element of surprise. Although if you get scouted you should keep macroing up, he'll probably get a forge up and some cannons, so macroing up gives you the upper hand of the match. Don't forget to scout him aswell.

7. In matches that are not ZvZ - spreading creep is essential. Sometimes you should get a creep tumor out before your first Spawn Larvae, and from there just keep spreading it - it gives you a huge upper hand in the battle. Yes, it's a pain, but you gotta do it.

I play Random also, and I HATE getting Terran. I have not the slightest how to macro with them, I used to play them alot but my real favorite races are Protoss and Zerg.

2nd base like a 4 minute zone.

18. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

Cheers, I'll definitely give that 15 Hive 14 Pool build a go (and have the next expansion somewhere sneaky if the map's big enough). Yea when I've been practicing with Zerg I realized that your main Hive should either be making Queens or Evolving. I like going for Zerg, Muta, Corruptors, and BroodLords. Mass Roach rushes/builds can be effective too.

FE w/ Roach and Hydra Rush is another aweome Build, especially with some Infestors (Neural Parasited Thors and Battlecruisers is the sh*t :)

[Edit]
    Tried the Fast Hive and Gassed heavy. Got Spine Crawlers and went Mass Muta on their Mineral Line ftw.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  19. Carnuss

Carnuss New Member

ATTACK THEN EXPAND STRATEGIES:

Terran - Rush with Marines or Marines and Marauders

Zerg - Roach Rush reinforced by Speedlings or/and more Roaches, then get Mutas.

Protoss - Zealots and Templar (w/ Psi'Storm), then adding other Units depending on what you Scout.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2010